Friday 8 April 2011

Music Magazine Front Cover

Evaluating my Cover

This is my final music magazine cover. As my target audience was young female adults and teens I decided to draw in my audience by using a up and coming celebrity as my main image and have her name printed boldly at the top of the cover. This should hopefully automatically draw attention to the magazine for the people that are interested in Eva Brooklyn. My one inpiration for this magazine was Ian Rankin one of the most famous fashion photographers around. He has shot cover picure's for many fashion magazine's such as VOUGE and ELLE and many more. The picture that inspired me the most for my front cover was a very simple, naturlistic picture of Eva Green. So I tried to recreate the image to the best of my ablity.
 Here is the picture of Eva Green taken by Rankin for a double page spread in ELLE.

MASTHEAD: This is the next thing on the page that attracks attention to itself. The masthead to bold and at the top of the page as it's most likely the first thing the reader should read. MUSICA stands for Music in Spanish. I decided to change my masthead in to a different language because alot of well known magazines do this e.g. Elle.
I also thought that changing the masthead into spanish makes the whole magazine feel abit more classy and sophisticated rather than just using MUSIC as the header. I have tried to keep all the colours on the front cover in co-ordination with eachother. I picked out the colours from my model (Grey from the eye shadow and the purple from her dress) and used them to header my cover lines and sub titles.

As my music genre was mainly POP, RAP and HIP HOP I included the official UK top 40 on to my front cover to show to my audience what genre this magazine will be focusing on. I also showed a preview to intise the reader in and make them want to read on. By adding the word EXCLUSIVE across the top of the preview image it shows to the reader that no other magazine will have this, so if you want to read it, you have yo my MUSICA.

Another technique I used to draw my readers attention in was to include a free gift with my magazine. This is a technique that many magazine companises use these days to sell their magazine.

Overall I am very pleased with how my magazine cover turned out. I like the way the whole front cover is all colour co-ordinated and all fits together nicely. If i was to make a music magazine front cover again I would think about using different effect on the front page such as bumper stickers to make the cover look more fun and full.

No comments:

Post a Comment