Wednesday 27 April 2011

My Final Evaluation

Evaluation questions:

·In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
I would like to think that if my music magazine was to be published that it would become a competitor to other similar music magazines. I wanted to make my magazine as realistic as  possible, so in order to do this I did a lot of research into current popular music magazines that are targeted at the same age range as my magazine. e.g. Q.
The use of advertising within my magazine really helped create a realistic vibe to my magazine. I made sure the adverts where in keeping with the theme of the magazine and were relevant to my age range (17-25).
I think my magazine would challenege a real music magazine if it was published, because I have tried my best to include all the main features a magazine should have, a main image, mast head etc. I also tried to make these appeal to my age range, so made the front cover look smart and sophistiaced, this might appeal to an audience more than girly, pop princess magazine.
·How does your media product represent particular social groups?
I wanted my magazine to appeal to my particular age range as is would help me with the making of my magazine. Focusing my target audience on myself and friends made the job of creating and designing the magazine alot easier as I know how to please an audience of my age group. When researching about other magazines that focus on the same target audience as I wanted my magazine to do, I made sure that I didn't just look at music magazines, but also fashion and celeb magazines as these could still give me alot of inspiration for the design and layout. I looked at Vogue, Elle, Hello, Glamour, OK etc
After researching I decided that my magazine would be young female based and this would be shown by the layout and presentation. Purple, grey, pink, white, these were all used throughout my magazine showing gender but also keeping the magazine sophisticated.

·What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
I decided that the publishing house I would use for my magazine would be IPC, this is because the magazine they produce are very in keeping with my own, and they publish their magazines to many popular high street shops and even round the world.
·Who would be the audience for your media product?
My target audience would be young females between the ages of 17 and 25. This is because alot of my inspiration came from magazines that target to same kind of audience. It is also because the magazine I have produced is of the same sort I would buy myself.

·How did you attract/ address your audience?
To draw my audience in I decided to incorporate a recognisable celebrity on the front cover of my magazine. This automatically draws attention if the audience member is a fan of this celebrity, I have also made sure that it is specific to the age range of the magazine. Other techniques I Included were freebies such as an Itunes card with the magazine. This promotes another company and also suggests it's a music magazine. On the front page I also Included a exclusive interview with an up and coming boy band which would attract young girls.

·What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Most of my IT skills have improved while taking part in this project. For example creating, producing and editing an image in photoshop and also creating my magazine in publisher and word. Using this software really tested my ability to make my magazine unique as most of the designs and templates are very simplistic, and i wanted to avoid this.

·Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Throughout this task I feel I have learnt how fast the media moves and progresses. I have also learnt the In's and out's of the magazine industry and that it is far more detailed and a lot of thought has to go into a magazine before being published, most of which we as the reader would over look. I improved my IT skills and have learnt a lot more about how to produce and edit a photograph in Photoshop.
Overall I consider this task an achievement, and enjoyed working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment